Tuesday, November 18, 2008


Rippetoe is right. You can’t have your cake and eat it too. I love CF but I've recently reached a point in my training where I think I could really benefit from a break. Up until now, I’ve supplemented CF with powerlifts every 3rd day or so, but my linear progression on the lifts soon came to screeching halt on this program. Obviously, my desire to be both good at metcons and strong was getting me nowhere. I still have trouble doing a good deal of the CF wods with the prescribed women’s weight so, I decided that if I’m ever going to do “Linda” rx’d I had to commit to heavy lifting and quit messing around!


This week I’m entering my 5th week of strength training. I’ve been doing a combination of power lifts (e.g. backsquat, press, bench press), Olympic lifts, and some accessory exercise (weighted dips/pull-up). I’m following the SS novice program pretty loosely and have been strict about taking a rest day every other day. According to Ripp, you don’t get stronger from lifting heavy weights; you get stronger recovering from lifting heavy weights.


Workout Log 11.17.08

Yesterday I learned just how unconditioned I am. My Helen time was 1:26 slower than my last time. I felt totally winded during the runs and I’m pretty sure I was gasping for air as I reached the gym on the final run. As I mentioned above, this is to be expected after a month of only lifting. On the bright side, I did all of the KB swings unbroken for the first time ever.

Backsquat 5x5 @ #118- Mike advised me to widen my stance a bit, which helped in correcting my depth and torso angle.

Bench Press 5x5 @ #98 (wow, I’m almost benching as much as I squat, interesting…)

Here is a great video on Female Olymic Lifters from the Strength Mill forum:
http://strengthmill.net/forum/showthread.php?t=88&highlight=female


Sleep

Sunday- 8hrs

Monday- 9hrs

2 comments:

Ev said...

The good news is the speed will come back fast (re: your recent slower Helen time) and the strength you're gaining vis a vis your consistent strength training will be persistent. Get strong take long time but get fast (or slow) take not so long time. It's a win-win. Woo-hoo for you! :0)

Anonymous said...

If you really want your squat to improve, you will need to eat more. Sad, but true.

Your genes load the gun but your lifestyle pulls the trigger. -Dr. Houston