Wednesday, February 4, 2009

La Dolce Vita



I recently returned from yet another trip to Mexico...I know it must seem as though I live some luxoruos life that allows me to travel to Mexico twice in one month, but that is far from true. This time I went to attend my cousin's wedding. It was truly a family affair and I met relatives that I didn't even know existed! My parents, sisters and I stayed in my parent's future retirement home in a tiny community in southern Zacatecas. The colonial town is tucked away in the mountains where it remains as one of Mexico's best kept secrets. Driving through the town along the cobblestone streets you feel as though you've traveled back in time. Wherever we turned we were greeted with warm smiles and a generous hand offering up whatever little food/drink they had. As the priest said to the congregation, "en Mezquital hay una mina de Cristianos" (here resides a mine of Christians).
As a foodie, I was particularly impressed by the way in which the community is so tied to the land. With no supermarket or restuarant for miles, there is really no other way of life. Orange, banana and avocado trees litter the streets in Mezquital and even the large cactus plant bears a sweet and delicious fruit. The women rise early to milk thier cows and prepare the cheeses that the town is known for. The day before my cousin's wedding we stopped by her house to find it full of men, women and children plucking chicken feathers, grinding corn and roasting chiles in preparation of the feast. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE, contributes with whatever means possible. What an amazing site to see...I'm really looking forward to my next visit.

No comments:

Your genes load the gun but your lifestyle pulls the trigger. -Dr. Houston