Monday, December 22, 2008

A busy girl's shake


I am completely committed to a whole foods diet - no doubt about that. Fresh produce, animal protein and healthy fats are the basis of my diet but lately I'm discovering that even I can't keep this up ALL the time. Eating this way takes time and although it is totally worth it, sometimes I just can't do it. My usual routine is to prepare a whole ton of food on Sunday or Monday nite for the next few days. This is a great system that saves time (and $$) during the week. Also, preparing your meals ahead of time will guarantee that you stick to your diet. When I simply don't have time to prepare food in advance, I resort to a protein shake. It's easy in a pinch and tastes damn good too. The downside is that it doesn't satisfy your hunger like real food and I am usually starving 2 hours after drinking. That being said, I wouldn't recommend this for everyone.

Busy Girl's Shake:
Paleomeal whey powder (excellent source- from grass-fed cows)
1/2 cup Coconut Milk, canned
juice from 1 Lemon
1 scoop Green powder (Jarrow brand)
2 tbs Brewer's yeast (excellent source of b vitamins, minerals and amino acids)
organic Cherries, frozen
2 tbs ground Flaxseed (good source of fiber and Omega 3 fatty acids)
1/2 cup Goat's milk Kefir (good probiotic)
Cinnamon
*Throw this all in a blender until smooth.

I don't bother counting blocks on this one, but if I had to guess:
4-5 Protein blocks, 7-10 Fat blocks, about 2 Carb blocks

No comments:

Your genes load the gun but your lifestyle pulls the trigger. -Dr. Houston