Thursday, July 31, 2008

I'm Baaaack!

(the construction crew on the last day of work)

As many of you may already know, I just returned from an amazing week in the Dominican Republic. No, it was not vacation. I had the privilege to serve alongside 24 members of Moraga Valley Presbyterian Church who traveled to the island as a volunteer service project for Kids Alive International. Having previously been to El Arca as a senior at St. Mary’s, I felt especially honored to have another opportunity to love and serve the kids.

During our stay, we enjoyed taking part in various construction and maintenance projects at the Anija School Campus, putting our skills and professional expertise to work. The school serves the children who reside at El Arca and many more who can’t afford public school.


Here are some of the things we did: 1) Together we brought approximately 2,400 pounds of donated supplies including children’s clothing, shoes, athletic equipment, books, backpacks and medicine. 2) We constructed the walls for two classrooms using concrete cinderblocks and cement. These classrooms will be used for future science and art classes at the K-8th school.
3) We painted classroom walls and wooden benches for the cafeteria in addition to the new school sign at the entrance of the campus.
4) Cleaned desks and repaired doors and tables.

After work, some of us headed out into the barrios to lead bible study while others, including myself, ventured to El Arca for some futbol!! The kids ran circle around me as I dodged the soccer ball for fear of it landing on my head. When I finally got the ball I tried to redeem myself with a desperate attempt to make a goal, just to have it blocked by a 4 year old! I had a blast and they enjoyed laughing at me.

Although it is gratifying to know that we provided a service with our physical labor and much needed donations, I feel that it I was the one who was blessed to be a part of the lives of these kids and the recipient of their tremendous love. I hope to remain close to the kids and community at El Arca and look forward to future visits.

Thank you all for your love and support and I ask that you continue to pray for these kids and the Kids Alive family.


If you are interested in sponsoring a child or giving to Kids Alive please visit their website.


First post trip WOD:
"Helen"
Three rounds for time:
Run 400 meters
1 pood Kettlebell X 21 swings (or 35 pound dumbbell swing)
12 Pull-ups
=11:54 (Chest to bar pull-ups)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Niko and I are coming with you next time

Your genes load the gun but your lifestyle pulls the trigger. -Dr. Houston