Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Back to Basics


About a year ago I attended the Mark Rippetoes's Basic Barbell Certification seminar. Ripp along with Lon Kilgore, lead a 2 day seminar where they taught the power lifts (backsquat, deadlift, bench press, shoulder press, power clean) and discussed the value of incorporating these lifts into one's exercise program to further improve overall strength. Rippetoe made it very clear that the squat in particular is especially critical in developing strength, stating that, "few things are graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy."

Moving along, I have decided to really focus on my lifts again. After a period of linear progression, I've finally come to a standstill on my lifts. Rather than whine about it, and deliberately go out of my way to avoid backsquats, I am going after it with everything I got! There is simply too much to lose to just give up that easily. I discovered this excerpt on women and training on the strengthmill blog:

"It has been my experience that women progress exactly as men do, but at a slower rate. Adaptation is a trans-sex phenomenon, and we all progress in a linear fashion, testosterone or not. But in realizing the different rate of adaptation said hormones allow, you also realize that the small plates cannot wait even one more workout. These little jewels allow your progress to behave the same as a man's in terms of its linearity, instead of being stuck for 2-3 workouts as a matter of course. You can use 2" flat washers glued together to make up the plates you need inexpensively, so do this tomorrow." Here is another article he wrote on this topic.

Monday

Backsquat 5X5 @ 124 pounds 5-5-3 - I am going to attempt this same weight today.

Shoulder Press 5X5 @ 69 pounds 4-3-4

Today's Food
7:30AM
3 eggs scrambled w/ carrot, yellow squash and spinach
6 Almonds
1/2 Tbs Peanut Butter
= 3P/1.5C/4F

11:30AM
Salmon, canned
Raw sea Sauerkraut
Cabbage Salad w/ walnut oil & vinegar
1/4 cup Grapes
9 Almonds
= 3P/2C/6F

2 comments:

Ev said...

Raw sea Sauerkraut???
Wha???

You are sooooooo much stronger than you were when we first met and now you're taking it to another level. You go, woman!!!

Darcy 'D2' said...

I love Mark Rippetoe quotes. Someone should just publish a book of them.

Your genes load the gun but your lifestyle pulls the trigger. -Dr. Houston