Tuesday, November 13, 2007

A cave girl's diet


As my interest in nutrition grows so does my heightened awareness of my food choices. I have been paying particularly close attention to the physical effects of certain foods. Bread for example, even the Lifestyles brand that is has a low GI, often leaves me feeling sluggish Similarly, large servings of dairy make me bloated and feeling heavy. I have slowly been weening myself off of these types of foods and in effect, modifying my diet to one that more closely resembles that of our hunter-gatherer ancestors. Yes y'all, I'm talking about the Paleo diet! You have to admit, the name alone draws you in. I haven't entirely crossed over just yet, but I am inching my way toward strict Paleo with each meal that enter my mouth. I am hoping that by next Monday I will be eating like a full fledged cave woman. This means no grains, legumes, dairy, alcohol and sugar. I must admit, I am bit nervous about the no alcohol part, especially around the holidays. Wish me luck!

Anyway, I am going to experiment with it for about two weeks and see where it goes from there. I am hoping to get leaner, meaner and most importantly, healthier.

To read more about Paleo Diet refer to Loren Cordain's The Paleo Diet: Lose Weight and Get Healthy by Eating the Food You Were Designed to Eat

No comments:

Your genes load the gun but your lifestyle pulls the trigger. -Dr. Houston