Thursday, December 27, 2007

Supplements


I have recently been reading up on the benefits of taking amino acid supplements. In doing my research, I discovered that aside from whole foods, amino acid supplements may just be the best legal thing you can take, particularly for weightlifters and those participating in strenuous exercise aka Crossfit. Fortunately, the information available on the web is endless. A Google search will result in scientific study after scientific study that strongly concur that amino acids are very valuable compounds. Now that we have decided that they are essential supplements that support human function, the question remaining is which ones to take. I think that it is very easy for most people to get carried away and start popping pills, but one should really do their research to find the ones that will benefit you the most.

Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins and muscle tissue. All types of physiological processes relating to sport - energy, recovery, muscle / strength gains and fat loss, as well as mood and brain function - are intimately and critically linked to amino acids. It's no wonder amino acids have become major players in athletes' supplementation, especially among bodybuilders. -Bodybuilding.com

L-Arginine and Glutamine are the two that I have recently started taking.


Workout: 3 out of 5 Rounds of "Barbara": 20 pull-ups, 30 push-ups, 40 sit-ups, 50 squats (3 min. rest between each round)







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am curious why you think you aren't getting enough aminos. Maybe you should up your lean protein blocks to get them in a well-rounded fashion?

I don't want to come across as sounding critical here (especially since this my first post to your blog ), rather it is intended as an honest question. I hope you take it in that spirit...

Anonymous said...

My favorite amino acid is beef, followed by vanilla ice cream.

Your genes load the gun but your lifestyle pulls the trigger. -Dr. Houston