Sunday, January 13, 2008

Birrrrrrria!


I spent the day with my parents today and was stoked to see the large pot of goat meat they brought me (along with about 358 eggs). My parents live on a ranch in Ukiah where they breed goats and chickens. On occasion my dad will slaughter a goat and make Birria. Birria is goat meat slow-roasted in the ground overnight. Its a Mexican thing.
My dad literally digs a hole in the ground, builds a fire in it and then gets up at 2am to keep an eye on the meat. He also makes a delicious red salsa that compliments the meat nicely. I looked up the nutrition facts about goat meat and was delighted to see that it is a very lean and healthy source of protein. And its yummy!
From the United States Department of Agriculture :
3-oz. serving of cooked goat meat has 122 calories, 2.6 grams of fat, 23 grams protein and 63.8 milligrams of cholesterol.
The same size serving of chicken has 162 calories, 6.3 grams fat, 25 grams protein and 76 milligrams of cholesterol.

Now who's gonna help me eat all this meat??

Workout Today: CrossFit Oakland Pull-up ladder= 10+9 (pr)

4 comments:

Chris Stroud said...

Goat meat, that actually sounds pretty good. Do you know any local places where you can buy it?

Anonymous said...

On Sundays almost every Mexican restaurant sells Birria--although I am sure not as good as Connie's dads! Connie--I am heading to Ukiah this weekend!! On Fruitvale and International is a good mercado that sells goat as well as one at High and International--or almost any other market over here. If you go to the one on 23rd Ave near International--they have a hot chocolate stand champurrado you can get with a churro and it is very good.

Anonymous said...

Oh--Connie said that I never post--so Connie--that was Laura!

Anonymous said...

Yum yum, that was some delicious birria! I used to eat that as a child and noticed that yours was really fresh and not gamey! thanks for sharing---Niko loved it too!

Your genes load the gun but your lifestyle pulls the trigger. -Dr. Houston