Wednesday, January 9, 2008


Thanks for the feedback Tom and Tim, very wise words from you both. And yes, I do agree that I could really benefit from more rest in between workouts. I have a really bad habit of wanting to hit it hard as much as possible with as little rest as my body allows me to. My motto tends to be: if I'm not sore or limping then I can do the wod. I have been trying to be more conscience of giving myself some more rest. However, as I reflect on my last week of training I can see that perhaps I have been depriving my body of some well-deserved rest.


Friday 1/4: Last Rest day

Saturday 1/5: Tabata Something else (278)

Sunday 1/6: Power Cleans 5x5 (80#), Shoulder Press 5x5 (59#), Dead hang pull-ups (max #)

Monday 1/7: Front Squat 10x1

Tuesday 1/8: Cindy (11+3 push ups)

Today 1/9: ????? I think I should probably take a rest day

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When's the last time you took a week off of CrossFit? It's not easy to stay away, but it can be worthwhile.

MBL100 said...

Connie: you are finding out first hand what it means to no longer be a beginner. You cannot keep working out as hard as possible all the time and keep improving. If you could I would have at least a 2000 pound bench press.

One day of rest is not going to do it, because what you describe is some pretty serious decompensation. Try this:

Take today completely off
for the next cycle do the first workout at 50% intensity (either weight or time) the next at 60% intensity, and the final day at 70% intensity. Be disciplined! Don't do more! Take another day off, then on the following day, try a 140 lb front squat, I would not be at all surprised if you nailed it.

Anonymous said...

Connie! Anyone who has seen you knows you have made great gains in the past 6 months both in wieghtlifting and in body composition--you really set the standard and have shown us Five feet five and under girls that we, too, can lift the big girl weights! Even on your so called "bad day" you are lifting way above your body weight!

Although I am new to crossfit, I have to say that Max, Tom, and Tim are totally right.

In any sport you take periods of extended rest--in addition to the benefits mentioned by these fine men rest gives us time to recooperate mentally, reflect on our past gains, and think about what we need to continue to work on.

Every six weeks would probably be a good time to take a four day cycle off--but Max, Tom, and Tom, Mike and Nicole would know better.

LB

Your genes load the gun but your lifestyle pulls the trigger. -Dr. Houston